To maintain a competitive edge, port operators are looking at increasing capacity of cargo handling. Improving efficiency of operations requires modern, state-of-art and reliable communication solutions.
The convergence of voice and data is slowly taking precedence for port operators as they strive for improving operational efficiency and safety. Port automation systems consist of intelligent solutions that allow continuous and smooth operations of cranes, automated vehicles, automated containers, staff among others. The communication system enables personnel to quickly and proactively address and resolve operational issues in real-time.
Modern ports require digital voice and data communication solutions. Typically, the requirement of a port operator is to deploy a digital, scalable and reliable communication network. There are multiple stakeholders and external contractors working at a port and therefore it is critical to provide a communication system which can provide unified communication for all in case of emergency or disasters, while allowing them confidentiality for their normal communication. Some of the key requirements are :
- Good voice quality in noisy environments
Port operations have high ambient noise and therefore desired communication solution must be able to filter out maximum background noise during transmission.
- Ensure reliable and safe operation
Today’s port operators need fail-safe connectivity to operate safely and efficiently in an increasingly demanding and regulated environment.
- Enhance operational flexibility and efficiency
By ensuring instantaneous communication from users in different departments and processes at various locations across the port oil & gas facilities. Seamless communication within and across departments ensures maximum efficiency of operations.
- Next gen applications for control room and field workers
Modern communication systems must support the need for next generation applications for communication room and field workers.
- Interoperable and multi-vendor support
The proposed solution must be fully interoperable and be standardized for a multi-vendor environment.
- Intrinsically safe devices for flammable areas
ATEX or equivalent certified devices are required for operation in Flammable zone 0,1 or 2 depending on the type of cargo handled.
- Upgrade by interconnection to broadband
The proposed solution integrates with modern broadband communication networks such as WIFI and LTE for supporting data applications.
CONSORT TETRA Solution is based on DAMM TetraFlex which is a modern, reliable and cost-effective communication platform designed to meet diverse yet specific requirements of current and future port operators.
The TETRA solution for ports provides the following salient features:
- Provide reliable, seamless voice and data communication services between field users and control rooms.
- Provide user friendly control room dispatch applications.
- Interface with Public Announcement and Public Information System.
- Intuitive fault management system.
- Flexibility in installation in different areas and zones of the port.
- Integration to marine radio system.
- Intrinsically-safe user devices for flammable areas.
- Push To Talk Application for Smartphone users.
- Integration ready with other existing radio technologies, future WIFI or LTE networks.
The port industry is undergoing a major shift for need of reliable communication solution. Consort Digital solutions provide significant benefits for port operators. These solutions ensure vastly improved operational efficiency and security of the users.
Key benefits of our communication solution include –
- Plug and play design – easy deployment and scaling up of mission-critical solution. System administrators can integrate all network components, including base stations, dispatchers, network management facilities and external gateways at any time, even while the system is in operation.
- Lower operating costs – The solutions are based on DAMM TetraFlex that offers plug-and-play simplicity for easy setup and fast deployment. The compact design of the DAMM outdoor base station enables direct mounting on antenna masts, buildings and towers, reducing feeder loss and installation costs considerably. Both the indoor and outdoor base stations offer extremely low power consumption, and thanks to the IP65 encapsulation, the outdoor base station doesn’t need any external air-conditioned housing. DAMM TetraFlex is developed with flexibility and user-friendliness at the core, saving substantially on training and project costs.
- Low maintenance – extremely high reliability ensures low maintenance costs thereby reducing total cost of ownership.
- Integration to other plant communication systems – The solution integrates through standard interfaces such as SIP to other port communication systems.
- Integration to legacy systems – Allows for simple integration to legacy wireless and wire line communication systems.
- Integration to broadband networks – Allows easy integration to WIFI /LTE users through Smartphone PTT Application.